Sunday, January 31, 2021

Encouraged by His Truth


"Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God." 1 Samuel 30:6


David didn't come from a victorious battle, instead he had just been rejected by the Philistine army from going to battle alongside them, because of his national heritage as an Israelite. Though he had gained favor with Achish, the King, he had not gained favor with the Philistines. They still viewed David as an enemy and a threat. Chapters before this, David is fleeing for his life from Saul the King of Israel who has been pursuing David to kill him. Here is David, the next chosen King of Israel to be appointed, yet he is fleeing for his life and has now allied with the enemy. He has been rejected and shunned by his own people and has been misunderstood in so many ways. Fast forward to our key verse, in Chapter 30, as David and his men return to Ziklag, upon arrival they find that the Amalekites invaded and attacked Ziklag, burned it with fire and taken their women and children captive. And because the people were grieved, they talked about stoning David. So now, his own men have turned against him. 
Talk about rejection and defeat. I can only imagine what David may have felt. 

Nevertheless, David does something amazing; in the very same sentence, the bible says David was distressed, but he strengthened himself in the LORD his God. How amazing is that? In his distress, he strengthens himself, some versions say he encouraged himself in the LORD.
One must wonder how David did this in such a place of defeat, despair and distress and with his back up against the wall.

 In my own walk with God, I've strived to be a peacemaker as the Word instructs however I have been in positions were my back was up against the wall. The more I may have yearned for peace within my family, my marriage, my job, etc. it seemed as though the enemy came to attack even more in those areas of my life. I have often felt misunderstood, rejected and shunned. Even when the intention of my heart was aligned with the Word of God, opposition came full force. I have realized that my hope cannot be based upon the circumstances around me but only in Christ alone. That is where I find true peace and rest for my soul. I may not understand all that is before me but I can trust that God will lead and guide me. 

 As I look back at the life of David from the early time of his life as a young Shepherd boy. He was a young man minding his own affairs and tending to the sheep of his pasture. Yet during that time, Gods eye was upon David and He was shaping and molding a tenderhearted and zealous warrior to sit on the throne of Israel one day. Little did David know that God would use him as a chosen vessel and that through his loins a Messiah would come forth. I'm sure there are times, he may have looked back and thought, "Oh how I wish to be in the pasture again tending to my father's sheep..."
But little did David know that the time of his caring for the sheep, he was being sharpened as a tool for God's Kingdom, and sharpened for the battles that lie ahead. Even in his own flight from Saul, this too was being used as a weapon to sharpen David for his Kingly enthronement.
In David's afflictions, he learned to rely and trust in the LORD and in Him alone. He tasted and drank from the rivers of God's Grace and Mercy during the times of his spiritual drought. And he learned to take refuge under the shadow of the Almighty. It was truth that David sought. It was truth that he held onto during the hard times. David learned that throughout all of his afflictions, God could be trusted and was faithful to His word. My hope and prayer is that you too will encouraged by His Word, and be strengthened in the Lord.  God is shaping and molding us even in the most difficult seasons and we can trust and believe that God has a bigger plan even in the midst of discouragement, defeat and uncertainty. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home